I’ve received lots of emails and messages about the individual french toasts from the shower my family put on for BG-Dub. You guys. It was just amazing. And the shower was great too.
There are a million and one recipes online for baked french toast. You can add sausage. Walnuts. Apples. Tomato and basil. You name it. French Toast doesn’t need to be sweet ALL the time. Unless you’re me. Then it should always be a desserty breakfast.
My aunt selflessly baked 50+ individual french toasts for all of the shower guests. She’s a whiz in the kitchen and doesn’t really use recipes, but I have scoured the interwebs to find one that is almost identical to what she created. Enjoy!
FRENCH TOAST CUPS (via A Beautiful Bite)
Ingreds (short for ingredients)
- 16 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 loaf day old bread (I used Italian), cubed
- 1 stick of butter, melted
- 1 cup light cream
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh berries (any kind you like) OR LEAVE THEM OUT IF YOU’RE LIKE ME!
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line muffin pan with liners OR you can skip the liners and grease the muffin tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine eggs, cream, butter, brown sugar and vanilla. Mix well.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread cubes. Gently toss to coat. Fill each muffin well half full. Place berries in the middle. Cover with more bread cubes until the muffin well is full. Place more berries on top.
- Bake in a 350º oven for forty minutes or until golden and the egg has set.
Wrap the french toasts with patterned paper. Serve on a platter with whipped cream, syrup, and assorted fruit. I would like the fruit, but it’s a texture thing for me. I’m really picky these days. Enjoy!
photography: The Proper Pinwheel